What is Advent?
Advent simply means the coming or arrival of a person, thing, or event. Advent usually describes the time of preparation and focus leading up to Christmas which celebrates the coming of Christ from heaven to earth. This year Advent starts on November 28 (the 4th Sunday before Christmas Day) and continues through Christmas Eve.
The weeks leading up to Christmas can be so busy and distracting from the real celebration of Christ's birth. Advent is a time to slow down and focus on Christ each and every day as we get closer to Christmas. Jews in the Old Testament looked forward to and anticipated the coming of the Messiah, the Christ, who would save them from their sins. The Son of God came as a baby boy, born of a virgin, and they called his name Jesus because he would save them from their sins. He lived a sinless life, took the penalty for our sin on the cross, was resurrected on the 3rd day, ascended into heaven 40 days later, and is now preparing a place for us. The Bible promises he will return to take those who believe in him to be with him in the new heavens and new earth. Therefore, advent is a time for Christians to not only celebrate the 1st coming of Christ, but to look forward to and anticipate the 2nd coming of Christ, much like the Old Testament saints anticipated His 1st coming. We ought to live with hope and expectation for his return!
How do I celebrate Advent?
Individuals and families celebrate Advent in many different ways. The important thing is not necessarily "how", but "that" you celebrate. Just be intentional to take time each day to focus on Christ in some special way individually or together as a family. Some families and churches celebrate advent by lighting a candle each Sunday on an advent wreath symbolizing each of the advent themes (hope, peace, joy, and love) and then lighting a 5th candle on Christmas Day. Others celebrate with different types of advent calendars and do something special on each day. Still others read devotional books, make crafts, or color ornaments, all in hopes of focusing on Christ, the greatest gift, instead of simply presents and Santa.
Here is our updated collection of Advent resources to help you and your family celebrate Christ's first coming and to look forward to his second coming!
Advent 2022 | Hebrews & Isaiah
- Click here to listen to our Advent sermons over the years.
Good News, Great Joy
After leading us through the songs of Good News, Great Joy for the past 5 years on Christmas Eve, Graham Jones has been able to record these songs telling the Christmas story from Luke 1-2 for us to enjoy throughout the Christmas season! He even wrote a devotional to go along with the album so that your advent focus might be even more intentional! You can read more about Good News, Great Joy here.
- Good News, Great Joy Advent Devotional by Graham Jones | Online or In Person
- Good News, Great Joy Coloring Book | Online
- Good News, Great Joy by Graham Jones | Online| Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- Do you see what I see? with Ornaments by Watermark | Free
- Weekly Family Advent Guide by Lifeway | Free
- Jesus Story Book Bible Advent Calendar and Ornaments | Free
- Videos, Devotionals, and Activities by Advent Conspiracy | Free
- Daily ornament crafts by Truth in Tinsel | $10
- The Expected One by Scott James | $12
- Tracing Glory by Sarah Rice | $13
- A Jesus Christmas by Barbara Reoach | $10
- Keeping Holiday by Starr Meade | $18
- The Littlest Watchman by Scott James | $13
- A Christmas Promise by Alison Mitchel | $11
- Come Thou Long Expected Jesus edited by Nancy Guthrie | $12
- Come Let Us Adore Him by Paul David Tripp | $8
- Love Came Down at Christmas by Sinclair Ferguson | $13
- Repeat the Sounding Joy by Christopher Ash | $13
- Christ our Hope by Radical and David Platt | Free
- To us a Son is given by Radical and David Burnette | Free
- Good News of Great Joy by John Piper | Free
- The Dawning of Indestructible Joy by John Piper | Free
- Advent Resources by The Gospel Coalition
There will be several opportunities locally to hear Graham Jones' music from Good News, Great Joy this year! We hope you can join us for one of them!
- Good News, Great Joy Concerts - December 2022 Dates
- Christmas Eve featuring Good News, Great Joy - December 24, 2022
These albums listed below represent a wide variety of worshipful music for the Advent season: original music and well-known covers; quiet, reflective instrumentals and soulful ballads; deep Scriptural poetry and fun holiday rhymes. Whatever you listen to, may it all be for the glory of God in Christ, whose coming we celebrate and anticipate.
- Good News, Great Joy by Graham Jones | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- Behold the Lamb of God by Andrew Peterson | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- A Worship Initiative Christmas Vol. 2 by Shane and Shane | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- Prepare Him Room by Sovereign Grace Music | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- Annual Christmas Songs Vol. 1-10 by Folk Angel | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- Waiting Songs by Rain for Roots | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- The Light Came Down by Josh Garrels | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- The Gift by 116 | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
- Christmas by Jill Phillips & Andy Gullahorn | Apple | Amazon | Spotify
Playlists & Best
- TGC's 2022 Advent Playlist by Brett McCracken | Apple | Spotify
- TGC's 2021 Advent Playlist by Brett McCracken | Apple | Spotify
- Advent Art Project by Biola University | Free
Also, check out Empty Plate Love for another way to show the sacrificial love of Christ to the world this Christmas Season.